Tuesday, November 17, 2020

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again

When we bought the boat  there had been a long term water leak that affected the salon floor and we traced it to the mast support post.  Water does get into the mast at a few of the openings and most of it drains out at the base of the mast.  Some water happens to follow the electrical lines into the inside the salon through the mast support post.  There is a drain at the bottom of the post to allow any water a path to get out of the boat but somewhere the water found a new path.  That path was along the seam lines of the teak and holly plywood floor which resulted in the wood joint becoming soft and rotten.  So cutting the seams out replacing the wood with new wood and fixing the leak was the project.  The covering of the salon floor with new teak and holly plywood is another project that will be talked about later.   

Dry rot in old plywood

Two seam lines with old wood removed.

So I did a repair and thought all was good but during the last rain storm found that I did not get it fixed  --  bummer.  So this week I had to get the repair undone so I could start again.  Sounds easy but I was working through a 1/2" hole and a 3/4" hole that was difficult to get to, yes I am whining!  No store bought tools for me -  I found some rusty wire and made custom tools.  Not pretty, but worked.  By the time I was done the wire was nice and shiny.  Kris had bought a boroscope which allowed me to see inside the post as I was working.  So now I think I have it fixed, but will test it over the next couple of days with a garden hose to see if it is good and the water goes where it is supposed to, versus where it will cause damage.  I am hoping the original design is #1 fix, my 1st attempt is #2 fix, so this should be #3 fix and you know that "Third time is a Charm"

Hole location, the 3/4" corner is around the corner of the post.

Custom tools - non rusty now.


 Sealant I removed out the 3/4" hole after scrapping it out of the mast support post.




Looking inside the mast post at the bottom with nice new white flex seal.  You can see the 3/4" hole as a reference point.










No comments:

Post a Comment